The VFW wanted to translate their website into a mobile application to enhance the mobile experience. I served as lead designer with a team of talented back-end developers.
1. ResearchFirst I wanted to understand why the VFW wanted to make an app experience and why their mobile website was not sufficient. I had informative conversations with the VFW marketing team to discuss more detailed insights. There needed to be a more streamlined way for veterans to access heavily trafficked features on the website and this is what an app was intended to improve. Initial research was done to discover what kinds of users were using the VFW desktop, tablet, and mobile views. I wanted to know who these members were. After these sessions, I began to make personas to help understand the user with the intent to help put the pieces together.
2. Audit and Prioritization I began to take a high level audit of the website in addition to creating a site map to help myself and the VFW marketing team visualize the direction I was taking. I took this site map to one of our many sessions to help prioritize content. We worked together to omit features, ads, sections, pages, and any other content unecessary. Through this process the important features surfaced giving us more of an idea of how this app would take shape.
3. Wireframes With a more condensed website/sitemap and my research, I was ready to begin the new application sitemap and wireframing process. During this process small but informative user tests were done through prototyping and iterating off the results.
4. Visual Design With finished wireframe flows and a sitemap, I was ready to execute the UI. I used the existing website as a foundation for tone, UI elements, and components. After UI was finalized, the different flows were ran through another round of user testing and ADA compliance.